Women on the Water/Women at the Helm Regatta (WOW/WAH)
WSASMB Member Sponsorship Information
STILL ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!
The Women’s Sailing Association of Santa Monica Bay (WSASMB) has made funds available to sponsor Skippers racing in the WOW/WAH to help promote women’s sailing and create opportunities for both existing members and potential new members. This annual two-day regatta is usually held in August.
The 2020 Board of Directors approved a budget of up to $1000 for these sponsorships to be divided among the chosen applicants.
Female Skippers who are members of WSASMB can apply for a sponsorship for an all-female crew (WOW) or a mixed crew of males and females (WAH).
The WOW/WAH race is about promoting, empowering and celebrating women sailors. It’s a great opportunity to sharpen racing skills by taking the helm, leading a crew, or by trying a new position. Both seasoned and first-time skippers are encouraged to put together a WSASMB member crew and apply for this sponsorship.
- The Skipper and crew members must be WSASMB members at race time. Exception considered for non-member boat owners who lend their boat to the WSASMB skipper and crew.
- Skippers must register and race under the WSASMB burgee with WSASMB listed as the yacht club.
- Interested Skippers must submit a written request, to the WSASMB Board at least 14 days prior to the start of the race (if possible).
- No requests will be considered after the race.
- Only applications from current WSASMB members will be considered.
- Requests for funding should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Final funding decision will be at the sole discretion of the Board.
Sponsorship may cover costs such as:
- Boat entry fee
- Charter fee
- Team shirts or swag (must include WSASMB name)
- Lunch on race days
- Other incurred expenses related to the race
How to apply for a WSASMB WOW/WAH Sponsorship:
- Send a request to the Board via email (or complete the online application) and include the following:
- Your sailing resume (if you have one)
- State your wishes for sponsorship
- List what the money will be used for and amounts
New Skippers are welcome to apply. Skippers do NOT need to be experienced racers to qualify for sponsorship. Sponsorships can only be used during the year in which they are approved. New applicants will take priority over any who have previously received funding.
Sponsorship recipients must submit receipts for eligible expenditures within two weeks after the event. Receipts will be reviewed at the next Board meeting and approved expenditures should be reimbursed within approximately 30 days of the Board meeting.